We are presently looking for poets and essayists to contribute to upcoming issues. We want serious, disciplined, high quality poetry. We are very open to new poets or those who have not been published before. Poetry may be written on any topic, whether it is overtly religious or not. Our aim is to publish poetry by writers who have studied poetry, who understand how to craft language, and who want to share a unique and hopeful perspective. We do not want light verse, doggerel or greeting card-style poetry. Avoid religious platitudes, preaching, and simplistic answers. We will accept rhyming poetry as long as it is written in traditional forms (sonnets, villanelles, sestinas, etc.).
We also may consider articles on poetry, literature and the role of spirituality and religion in the literary arts. We DO NOT publish fiction or purely theological works. Please provide complete bibliographic information on the works about which you are writing.
Guidelines for submissions:
- We prefer e-mail submissions exclusively. Send to email@example.com.
- Please paste the text of your work into the message box.
- DO NOT send your poetry or essays as document attachments.
- DO NOT send your poems in separate e-mail messages.
- Writers may submit up to 5 poems/2 essays at a time.
- Poems may be up to two pages in length, essays five pages, double-spaced.
- Each submission should include the author’s full name, address and phone number.
- Do not send previously published work or work under consideration elsewhere.
If you are unable to send your work by e-mail, please mail your work to the following address:
The Penwood Review
P. O. Box 862
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
NOTE: We will not respond to mailed submissions or inquiries without a stamped, self-addressed envelope. In addition, please note that your poem(s) may appear on the samples page of our web site as well as the editor’s choice award winners page.
PAYMENT TO POETS: A purchase is NOT required in order to be published. (The Penwood Review is not a vanity press.) However, poets and essayists who are published will receive $4.00 off the subscription price ($12.00 down from $16.00) and will receive one additional copy of the issue in which their work appears. Single copies are $8.00 each. A subscription or single-copy purchase must be made in order to receive the additional free copy.
Because we are an independent, not-for-profit publisher, The Penwood Review is not able at this time to pay poets in cash or copies.